Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 2



Day 2 of week 2 and unfortunately we did not find as many lizards as yesterday, but we did find a lot of frogs. My favorite frog we found today was a green tree frog that was the size of my thumbnail. When they are that small they are the color of my skin and almost see through. Turns out I really like frogs, new career possibility? We also trapped a mouse last night and I was able to hold on to him the entire time… first time. I think this is my favorite job I’ve ever had. Who else gets to chase after a lizard in the woods? I also learned how to flag for ticks that are not on any animals. All it takes is a white felt cloth on a stick and brushing it on the ground or low plants then checking it for ticks. The larval stage of ticks is so tiny they are almost see through. They are about the size of a poppy seed. So basically it’s a pain to try and find them but when you do it makes it worthwhile. Plus, we are the first people to collect larval ticks in the south by flagging! That’s all folks.
The first picture is of a green tree frog.
The second picture is of me with my first mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment